I really wish that all I had to do was bake, read recipe books, and make long lists of exactly what sort of things I want to make in my kitchen.
There are really long lists out there that I could make. I have all of these grandiose ideas floating around in my head. This morning I zoned out in my Political Science class and started a detailed diagram of all the different foods I could remember that originated or were popular in each decade of American History.
Now I kinda want to throw a theme party for the 20s. Or the 50s. Or any decade really. Tea parties work too. Mostly I just want to make food and have fun.
These themed rice krispie treats are perfect for parties. Especially Easter or spring party, even a cute bird themed baby shower! Truth be told, you should make these and then plan some sort of party to serve them because they are great. I like a regular rice krispie treat as much as the next person, but these cereal bars take it up a notch with everyone’s favorite chocoaltey spread: Nutella!
If you are part of the Nutella following that has swept the globe, rejoice! If you aren’t, then join us! Nutella fans are happy people, it’s a fact.
Cocoa rice krispies, Nutella, and marshmallows lend their aid to make adorable little bird’s nests that you can fill with chocolate eggs, jelly beans, or other candies. They are the cutest thing you’ll see all spring, and the tastiest. Because who doesn’t want a crispy chewy Nutella snack in their Easter basket?
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3½ cups mini marshmallows
- 3½ cups cocoa rice krispy cereal or cocoa pebbles cereal
- ⅓ cup nutella
- Jelly beans, chocolate eggs, or other candies for filling
- Spray a muffin tin with baking spray or butter the individual tins.
- In a pot, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth. Add the Nutella and stir to combine. Add the cereal and stir with a rubber spatula until the cereal is coated. With a buttered spoon, scoop the mixture into the muffin cups.
- Be very careful! Melted marshmallow can get to lava temperatures when melted. Wait to fill all the muffin cups before trying to shape the nests with your hands. When the marshmallow is cool enough to touch, with buttered finger shape shape into little nests by pushing the middle out to the edges, leaving an indent. place the candies in the nests and let set for an hour before removing the nests from the pan and serving.
- Store in an airtight container.