It has been a long long month.
Usually April seems to be longer. I think it’s because it’s the last days before school is out for the summer and everyone is yearning for vacation, for warmer days, more free time, more sun. I know I’m yearning for my classes to be finished. I feel like I need a breath of fresh air.
Besides your old run of the mill spring fever, there has been a lot of sickness around here lately. I feel like I was kicked in the stomach several times these past few days, both physically and mentally. I don’t know, maybe I’m just feeling the blues.
Sadder still is the fact that I really haven’t done anything in the kitchen either (besides our normal dinners). No pies, no cupcakes, no bread or cookies.
Well, actually. I tried to make cake mix cookies once, which I never do because I never have cake mix. But it was on sale and I was bored……
…….Needless to say they were terrible and we threw out the whole batch. It was awful. There’s nothing like dumping trays of cookies in the trash to make you feel pretty down.
I needed a pick me up. Fast.
SO! Cinco de Mayo is coming up soon, and that means margaritas. Margaritas are one of those drinks that I’ll actually order at a restaurant and enjoy drinking. I don’t like wine at all and fancy coffee isn’t really my style, but margaritas are so fun! Colorful and icy, and they taste pretty close to lemonade (which is my absolute favorite), margaritas are for chasing away the blues.
Margaritas it was, my friends.
With both kiwi fruit and strawberries on sale, I practically had this flavor combination shoved into my hands. Kiwi-Strawberry flavored things aren’t typically my favorite. They taste awkward and fake. That’s usually because they are awkward and fake. (Ha! Take a look at those super sleuthy skills! Deduction, my dear Watson! Er…)
But this margarita is made with both real kiwis and real strawberries. The only awkward thing about this is the fact that you might drink the whole pitcher yourself. It’s pretty likely, actually. You should have an accountability buddy with you just in case, they are that dangerous.
Side note: You’ll have to forgive this egregious mash up of photos here. Half of them were taken in a post-sickness stupor and the other half are cell phone photos. Just know that these pink icy delights are a hundred times better than my photography skills. I promise.
- ½ cup water
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 large to medium kiwi fruits, plus 1 extra for garnish
- 1½ cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup (8 oz) silver tequila
- ½ cup (4 oz) lime juice
- ¼ cup (2 oz) Grand Marnier or Triple Sec
- Salt for garnish
- In a small sauce pan stir together water and sugar over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid starts to bubble. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a food processor, place three of the skinned and sliced kiwis and strawberries. Pulse until the fruit is pureed.
- Pour the cooled simple syrup into the food processor with the fruit and pulse to combine. Chill until you are ready to mix your drinks.
- In a pitcher combine the tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, and fruit syrup mixture. stir until evenly mixed. Serve over ice in glasses rimmed with salt.