Alright friends, consider this the end of the hiatus!
Every summer I take a break from blogging because summer just doesn’t seem like a baking season. I have very little motivation to spend hours in the kitchen and instead I want to just buy cartons of ice cream and get my sugar fix that way. Or through endless Starbucks frappucinos. (Is that how you spell frappucinos? That middle vowel is always so confusing. Frappacino, frappecino? Frappocino? Help…)
Anyways, classes for me start back up in a week which means summer is pretty much over. Here in California the summer weather lasts for quite a while, but that doesn’t mean I can’t anxiously await for Pumpkin Spice to overwhelm the world and take over our souls for four months or so.
I think everyone loves the idea of fall and really welcomes it. It seems to be the most loved of all the seasons and I feel bad that other seasons are neglected. (I’m sorry, summer. I’m just not a show-my-bare-legs-off kind of gal. I still think you’re important, you’re just not my favorite child.)
This Banana Zucchini Bread isn’t a fall recipe per se, but it doesn’t conjure up little school girl memories for me. Zucchini always floods the garden in late summer when kids are heading back to school, and quick breads pack really well into lunches. So while it’s not pumpkin spice-caramel apple-chai latte flavored this recipe is a great way to break the summer silence.
I’m pretty excited to get back into the kitchen, wrap myself in an apron and start baking in earnest once more! One note though, we recently moved from one apartment to another about an hour away and so I’m still trying to organize my linens, find a good place to photograph, work our the lighting. So these pictures are awful. The bread is not awful. It’s amazing. Okay, back to the blog…
Here we go. Details: this bread might seem at first to be your typical banana nut bread. But it has extra zucchini and a handful of white chocolate chips which caramelize into the bread giving it little crunches of sweetness through the sweetness. Those little extras make it that much better.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup each of chopped nuts and white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray or butter and flour the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, sugar, bananas and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, and baking powder and stir together until combined.
- Add zucchini, nuts, and white chocolate chips and fold into batter until it's well mixed. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes to 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let bread cool for 15-30 minutes before turning out onto a rack and slicing.